Instructions for Solar Operation
- When using the included rechargeable batteries, be sure to place the solar panel in a location where it receives direct sunlight for a minimum of 3 hours each day.
- Make sure the batteries are placed correctly, and properly seated, in the battery compartment (follow the polarity shown inside the compartment).
- It is recommended that during the initial installation, to turn the AUTO/ON/OFF switch to the ‘OFF’ position which allows all the electricity from the solar panel to recharge the batteries.
- After the first full day of charging, the AUTO/ON/OFF switch may be toggled to the ‘AUTO’ or 'ON" position for intended use.
- If you prefer on using AA Alkaline batteries (as opposed to rechargeable batteries), please place black tape over the solar panel to avoid the unit charging the AA Alkaline batteries.
How does Renewable Energy Work?
One of the best ways to be environmentally friendly is to capture the power of the Sun's energy by designing solar powered renewable products, and that's exactly what Firefly Magic® has done with their newly designed renewable energy 'Fireflies'.
Basically, it means utilizing a source of energy over and over again. With our Solar Powered Firefly Magic® Firefly Lights we use the power from the Sun over and over, day after day.
When facing the sun, the solar panel collects the Sun's solar light radiation. The solar panel is made up of 16 individual silicon cells that are connected together and laminated under a clear plastic cover.
By using the new technology laminating process rather than the older epoxy encapsulating process, the solar panel will not turn yellow and crack over time. This means the solar cells can continue to receive the maximum level of solar energy over their years of life.
When the sunlight strikes the solar cells in the solar panel they begin to generate electric power (voltage x current = power in watts). This electrical energy is routed by wires to the battery compartment and eventually to the rechargeable batteries themselves where they are charged.
In order for the 'Fireflies' to operate at night, the electrical power from the sun must be transferred and stored. This is accomplished by using two (2) AA rechargeable batteries (recommend NiMH) located inside the Solar Panel Assembly. Because rechargeable batteries use chemical processes to convert, store, and output the electrical power, temperature can play a significant role in how well the batteries operate, and in turn, how the 'Fireflies' work.
You may also want to review the OUTDOOR USE IN SUN and OUTDOOR USE IN SHADE Sections.